April's Winter


Image Source: Pinterest


I lie awake with you
As you lay asleep by my side
What seemed like a safe haven
A call homeward, now feels like the frontline of a battlefield

Our unsaid words burrowing a deep distance between us
Wide awake in reality and dreamland
What ifs and unlived scenarios crowding my thoughts
My touch becomes cold stinging swords

I can't wish away the ache
I can't fight my need to shield my hurt in pride
I can't speak the words stuck in my guts
Still I fear that doing nothing makes it all the worse

You lie awake in dreamland
Asleep to me and the world
My embrace has run cold
You want nothing with it

I'm powerless, at my wits end
I don't know how to cry anyone a river no more
My heart has simply had its fill
I lay awake in your bed, miles apart from you

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts