Motherhood

Sometime last week, I was out with a friend and we happened to walk into ... Lagos and oh the welcoming aroma was rather nostalgic. It triggered a memory from my childhood and all of a sudden all those thoughts which had been laid to sleep came alive.

My earliest memory of my god-mom were of plush red sofas and red wine. For some reason she always indulged her very important guests to have some ``blood´´. I always wondered why she served them blood and will be quick to add its benefits. I never quite got around this ´´gory`` act especially since they very rarely declined her offer.

Her house was always busy with activities of some sort and oh... it was a Spring of your favourite childhood fantasies. She didn't suffer our sugar longings or our obsession with smell of new clothing and how our faces lit up at the sight of a never seen location. She was all that. Every moment spent with her was filled with warmth, joy and laughter. I still can't fathom how she was all that to a world of people who've been touched by this special Angels heart.

Somewhere in these memories, growing up took over... i didn't see much of her again. She always tried to reach out but that won't be possible till I was much older. My final encounter with her, which although wasn't the last time I'd see her, she talked about so much. it felt like she tore the walls which housed my innermost dreams and aspirations, hurt and fears and like a Mother would a child learning to walk... held my hand through every bit of them in a bid to lift me to salvation. I guess I didn't want to be saved. She encouraged my reclusive heart to come spend time at her house. She perceived I needed much more than i knew I wanted... Hmmm.

Although, I've mostly lived in denial of her passing, It honestly helped me through the times.

Rest with the Angels Special Mom and say me well nto my Sweet Mom who's been gone 2years.


         
A ma marraine... 

The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children – Elaine Heffner.

‎Parenting, a wise man once said, isn't about blood, it's mostly about love. In life, some people never experience a mother's love- not me. For I was blessed with not one, but two mothers. 

You bridged the biological gap and took me as your own. I got more than I deserved in you and with every moment spent, I learnt something new.

Death might have dealt me another strong blow, but I'm grateful for yesterday's memories. Those I'll cherish and that's how you'd be remembered: Hearty God lover, Humble, Ever smiling, Understanding, Classy and Stylish, Soft spoken, Giving, Hospitable and a Great Listener. 

Find Rest in the Lord's Peace, Mom. 


Tamipiriye Dennisada-Grace Emmanuel,

god-daughter.

Comments

  1. Wow! Beautiful piece written by a truly beautiful heart. She may not be here to see the beauty her loving has molded you into but I'm persuaded that she'd be proud she lived as lovingly as she did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts